Monday, July 7, 2008

My Crystal Ball

Probably one of the best things this program is doing for us, in my opinion (and, granted, we are only 2 weeks in, and there have been a lot of great things), is assigning us the task of writing and presenting our vision statements- how we believe education should be, our vision of the future.

In considering this, I've had to start with a bit of digital media which inspired me onto this path I'm now trodding: 


Every time I watch this, I cry. I think of the great disservice we do to our students by not preparing them as best we can for the future. I say as best we can because we don't know what the future holds. When I was in school, I wasn't taught to recycle. Or to use a computer. I was taught to never talk to strangers, but I was still allowed to walk home from school alone. My teachers and parents didn't know that we'd run out of space for our garbage and resources for creating more of that garbage, that practically every job would require some technological knowledge, that kids would be solicited online... So it is up to us to consider the past, take a hard look at the future, and fashion the best possible preparedness plan for the children.

No comments: